Sunday, July 20, 2008

5B-Reflections

REFLECTIONChoose any 1 classmate of project 4 that wrote about an entirely different set of authors anduse the following format in a blog post.

1. Who is your classmate, what is the component category, what is the name of the choice?

The classmate I chose was Lucia Dobrawa. For My California she was group #1 which included the authors: Arax, Liu, Parker, and Mackey.

2. What is something this classmate said about the choice that relates to any of the assignments in projects 2-3?

In project 3C, she wrote about Napa Valley being the home of endangered plants. It's unfortunate, but also amazing that we are able to have those plants near us. Napa and Sacramento are similar because both places use the river as an important food source and transportation. She also wrote about the Museum of Photographic Art (MOPA). Many of the cultures are united in one museum representing people from many places of the world.

3. What is something different this classmate said about their choice that you did not realize before when you completed projects 2-3?

I didn't know that the Museum of Photographic Art existed. I want to go visit because I also like photography. About surfing, I learned that many Polynesian cultures regard experted surfers as superior.

4. How would you relate this to Freire's ideas regarding dialogue? For example, you went in thinking one idea, your classmate had a different idea. What new idea emerged from this process?

I always thought surfing was fascinating, but I didn't realize how much culture it involved. Surfing has influenced many cultures including ours. Some people have a negative perception of surfing and what a surfing lifestyle is like. Somethings may not seem that important to some people or as significant, but to many people it's what their lives revolve around.

5. How has project 2-3 helped you with the readings of the textbook?

Projects 2 and 3 helped me learn about some of the areas that were being read in the book. Also, by researching California, I was able to appreciate some of the things I haven't before.

No comments: