Wednesday, July 2, 2008

2B Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco - De Young Museum









The De Young Museum was established in 1895 in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. In October of 2005 the museum reopened with a new facility. The museum contains different exhibitions representing different culltures. The museum contains many priceless items including art of Native Americans and art from America between the 17th and 20th centuries.



Observation: What did you choose? What do you see or hear or feel or think of in the choice you made? What is the subject of the work? If you chose a 'thing' what is the work made of and what techniques (colors, lines, shapes, textures)does the creator use? Be specific in your description. If you chose a place, be specific in your description of what you see or hear. Talk to your reader as though they cannot see the item but somehow must draw a painting of what you see or hear. 1 point

I chose the De Young Museum located in San Francisco. The De Young Museum exhibits beautiful pieces of artwork and artifacts from all over the world. It also exhibits art representing all the different cultures in the United States. In October, the museum will be showcasing Asian-American Art and about a year ago they were showcasing Chicano Art. Inside is engaging and full of information, but the architecture of the museum is striking and quite unique.



Interpretation: What is your choice about? Give specific examples to support this statement in 2 sentences; do so in a way that teaches us something about your choice. Make Paulo Freire proud! .75 points

I picked the De Young Museum because last year was the first time I visited. I went to see the Chicano Art exhibition presented by Cheech Marin. All the paintings were filled with stories, stories I could relate to, and so much culture. It was about my me in a way, because I was able to see part of my life and part of my feelings reflected in these paintings, something I've never felt.


Judgment: What led you to your choice? What do you think or feel about this choice? Why do you feel this way? Support your thoughts with specific observations. .5 point


The De Young Museum was my first choice because I recently visited it after seeing the Chicano Art Exhibition. After learning more about the museum, they welcome art from other countries and different cultures. When I got out of the Chicano Art Exhibition, I saw that they have artifacts from the indigenous people from Latin America. It seems to me, they want the people who visit the museum to learn and experience new things.


Questioning: What else would you like to know about this choice? When completing the question section, lead your audience into the question by stating a fact you do know, yet you still have the related question. This way, both your audience and you will have an educational experience. Example: I learned that John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath was based on his personal experience working with farm workers. I would like to know if the characters he used in that book are fictitious or are they people he met? .5 point

I know the De Young Museum reopened in 2005 , but what happened before and who was the architect?

When the De Young Museum was founded in was built in San Francisco on the San Andreas Fault. In 1989, the museum was badly damaged by the earthquake. The main architects were Fong and Chan and the designers were Herzog & de Meuron.



5. Using your classmates work from last week, tell us one thing you learned from 1 student. Is this one thing some common experience you share or some experience that is completely different than what you experienced? Is this one thing related to our class theoretical foundation and if so, how? Is that one thing related to historical or cultural context of this country or a different one? 5 point

Barrett's Blog

http://srjcstud8568.blogspot.com/2008/06/week-1-project-1a.html

Barrett thinks it's important to appreciate the history of science. It's an experience that he enjoys and thinks that it will intrigue both young and old people. I think science is important as well. Last time I went to a science place was to the Exploratorium many years ago. I agree science and the inventors/scientists should be acknowledged and appreciated.

If you want to know more about the Chicano Art Exhibition I saw follow this link:

http://www.chicano-art-life.com/cheech.html

Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Young_Museum

http://www.famsf.org/deyoung/index.asp






No comments: